Monday, June 28, 2021

Rapid City and more….

The “real” reason for this epic road trip was to see my son and his family before they transfer to his next Air Force station in Dayton, Ohio—within two months. I got in on a Thursday night, and my son had to work the next day.  

Initially, I thought I’d just rest for the day, but l suppose I can rest when I am dead.  I took off early (of course) to explore. About a half hour down the highway, I stopped at Sturgis, home of the infamous yearly motorcycle rally.  Sturgis is the hub for many scenic rides around the beautiful state of South Dakota.






While I was walking around, I stopped a local person and asked, “Where do locals go for breakfast?”  She pointed me to Red’s.  


I then drove through Deadwood and Lead.  I attended a few rallies in my Harley riding day, and I could not believe how these slow and sleepy towns have exploded into massive tourist destinations.  


On my way back to Rapid City in the afternoon, I stopped in at the Black Hills National Cemetery. 


“Thank you for your service and sacrifice.”

And then I saw this chapel across the highway at the entrance of the Fort Meade Recreation Area.



Off to dinner with the family…next entry….

No comments:

Post a Comment

On to Estes Park and RMNP….

Monsignor Joseph Bosetti happened upon a large rock outside of Estes Park, Colorado.  He was really just searching for falling stars.  He de...